Thursday 7 January 2016

A Step Back In Time

Anna-Christina and Piranha from Lilygun. Photo by Joe Bangay

Recording, can at times be quite a sentimental thing. It can bring up all sorts of emotions in musicians. Whilst I've been recording bass on Lilygun's new album, it made me think of where many of Lilygun's bass lines have originated from.

As some of you will know, I once had a bass player called Piranha. He was very special to me and the two of us became Lilygun together in the beginning. He couldn't stay in England and ended up going back to Japan but it was actually Piranha who helped me shape what Lilygun has become today.

Don't get me wrong, I love working with my friends in Lilygun now and they are a constant source of inspiration to me but Piranha never got the credit he deserved. By the time our first album came out he was already gone and wasn't able to play on it which was very sad. However, his spirit is in every single song on that album. The funny thing is, his spirit will also be on this second album too! We had already made demos together of some of these new songs and I'm referring back to his bass lines once again.

We have a sad story to tell but I will forever be grateful to this remarkable musician who taught me so much, believed in me when others didn't in our early days and helped me create a band I love. Piranha will forever be in my heart.

~ACx

No comments:

Post a Comment